Spring and summer weddings are great, but have you or your bride considered a winter wedding reception or party? During the winter months, the weather can be more stable (and cooler) than summer months; family members are more likely to get time off, and it's easier to book vendors. If you do it right, winter weddings can be spectacular and unforgettable. In December of 2020, we did a winter wedding event for an amazing bride, and the results were absolutely breathtaking.
Our December bride was fortunate to have grown up in a suburban home with a stunning backyard, including a custom deck, swimming pool, treehouse, and a breathtaking natural lawn that slopes down to a creek on the edge of their property. Her dream was a backyard wedding reception in the home she loved growing up in. Our task was to build a level structure into the yard with a clear top tent that would accentuate the natural beauty of the space. In addition, we were asked to use lighting to accentuate the Holiday feel. By tying in a black and white dance floor, power rentals, executive restrooms, and heaters, we were able to plan a reception that would accent the space instead of overpowering it.
Peerless Tents and Events was an invaluable vendor for the event. The clear tent structure, banquet tables, garden chairs, custom bars, and all linens were all a part of the planning. In addition to tent/table/chair/linens, Peerless showcased items from their furniture rental catalog for the lawn area. This provided the finishing touch in the planning for this distinctive area of the event. The installation of the custom, load bearing deck was a three day build. Along with the deck, In Depth Events provided a custom curved edge to match the elevation of the pool deck, and a custom step unit to access the lawn and treehouse. Building the structure had to be structurally sound, as over 140 guests were going to be seated on the deck for a plated dinner!
In Depth Events crews worked for another three days to bring in the lighting, decor items, dance floor, heaters, power, bars, tables, and chairs. All items had to be hand carried into the event space. Sunup to sundown over the six day build, the event began to take shape. The night of the event, guests began to arrive, and all were completely blown away by the amazing layout that our client planned and we executed. The food provided by Wendy Krispin catering was delicious, the atmosphere was phenomenal, and the compliments to the wedding couple and family flowed like water.
"This was my dream wedding, and In Depth Events made it possible! They were professional, creative, and masters at bringing my vision to life. I am SOOOOO happy with how everything turned out and highly recommended you hire them for your wedding!"
We have to agree with Gracie that her wedding was spectacular, and we are proud that we got to be a part of it and contribute to bringing her magical day to life. If you are considering a winter wedding, here are some things you need to know when planning.
What do I need to know about having a winter wedding?
If you are planning a winter wedding, here are some things to think about:
- Heaters are a must have. Electric or LP (top hat) heaters should be the go-to. Avoid glass heaters. They are pretty but don’t project much heat.
- The sun sets earlier in the winter. Work with your photographer for the best timing on natural light, and hire experts like In Depth Events to handle your *LED and decor lighting.
- With any outdoor wedding or wedding reception in a residential space, consider the limitations of the house, especially in regard to power and restrooms. You will need a generator for power for decor lighting, band needs and catering needs. You will need to bring in executive restrooms for your guests.
- Consider warm and hearty foods for catering. Think hot soups, hot appetizers, and make sure to include coffee and cocoa in your bars. A signature warm cocktail is great too!
- Lighting should be warm as it will make your guests feel warm. Avoid cool blue, and instead, use warm white, yellows, and reds for decor and uplighting. *Don't forget that bulb stringers and christmas lights need to be warm white too!
- Advise your guests that the event will be outdoors on the invitation. Suggest that they dress appropriately. It never hurts to have throws, scarfs, or shawls on hand for older guests.
How can In Depth Events help with my winter wedding?
First off, we should mention that we LOVE winter weddings and wedding receptions. Our warehouse has everything you need for a magical event. We handle everything from custom tents, swimming pool covers, event heating and cooling, generators, lighting, audio, and vendor recommendations.
We have over 25 years of experience, which comes in handy for complex events, like winter weddings. Winter weddings do require different rentals and custom builds to ensure things go smoothly, and your guests are safe and comfortable. If you are ready to plan a winter wonderland wedding or wedding reception, contact our team today. We can't wait to bring your vision to life as we did for Gracie and her family!